Friday, May 29, 2015

Under the Microscope: Calvinism



In my previous post, I talked about how I was apprehensive about posting a comment on a blog owned and operated by a Christian apologist, specifically, a Calvinist. This apprehension was due, in part, to having encountered her comment policy and disclaimer, but also, because of a few brushes I've had with her on another blog that I frequent. Or to be more precise, a place where I (and others) have dismantled her Calvinist arguments and challenged her on her various mini-lectures, most of which, at the end of the day, can be filed under bare assertion fallacies.

Bare assertion fallacy: When a premise is introduced as a conclusion without substantiation.

Ref:: https://logfall.wordpress.com/

Now, this woman's repertoire is not limited to assertion fallacies, mind you. No. Also common, are ad hominem, begging the question, and strawman fallacies. An example would be when she arrogantly asserts that any person who loses their "faith" was never really saved to begin with. Another would be that, to her, any non-believer has "rejected God", by proxy.

 It is these sad and inane sorts of arguments that I will deal with in this post. Why? Well, because as I've said many times, the religious, too many times, use their religion as a "license" to, a)  be insensitive, judgmental jerks, and b) claim to know what they cannot possibly know.

While I never got around to commenting on her post entitled, "The Problem with Atheists", I did attempt a comment on a post titled "Another Post on Hell":

 http://susanflutterbys.blogspot.com/2015/03/another-post-on-hell.html

Just as I suspected, my comment was not permitted to go through. Ooo, shocker. And that's funny, because I thought "the Truth" had nothing to hide(?) But evidently, it does.

UPDATE:  The blogger in question eventually responded. My new responses were allowed to go through, but she has since closed comments

Below is an earlier excerpt of my conversation with her. 

The red type is her engaging another blogger:

I guess that is the most revealing part to me that you never were saved ~ Susan Z.

My response: "So, in other words, once saved, always saved, is essentially what you're saying(on top of claiming to know people's experiences and intentions better than they do)

If I'm understanding correctly(and I'm confident you'll correct me where I'm wrong), 'God' elects someone as 'His' by no will of their own, aka, 'saving' them, and once that happens, 'saved' is the way they'll stay until their last, dying breath.


If I'm right so far, feel free to explain to me and your readership exactly where 'free will' comes in after the point of election. As it stands, once elected, one presumably cannot do anything to change that by any will of their own. To me, that sounds an awful lot like a 'robot'. But again, perhaps you have an explanation that I haven't heard yet."


There is still time ~ Susan Z.

My response:  "Still time? For what? What can [fellow deconvert] or any other 'unsaved' person do if it all boils down to who 'God' elected(past tense, because this election process presumably took place before 'creation')???"


______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Now, before I go a step further, I feel it's imperative that I point out that people of religions besides Christianity, and yes, even non-religion, can be things like insensitive and judgmental. But here's the rub: As an Atheist, I don't have the luxury of pointing to any mandates or invisible, supreme beings in an attempt to affirm or objectify my actions, attitude, or position. No, all I have is my sense of reason. Without that, I have nothing. "Faith"? That is an intellectual cop-out.

So, moving on.....

In Calvinism, which, in my opinion is the most despicable of all the upwards of 33, 000 denominations/split-offs of the Christian faith, proponents invariably want to have things both ways. That is, in one breath, they'll insist that the elect are predetermined, and in which case, they did nothing to earn this status. In the same process, this obviously leaves a balance of all those (supposedly) bound for "hell".

Again, this ratio of elect to non-elect was determined before "creation"...before the foundation of the world. And what are the implications? There's a few of them. Firstly, it means that if Calvinists are "right", then the "God" they worship and revere could have created a world inhabited with only those he elected, and not brought into existence those bound for "hell". But he didn't do that. Thus, it is reasonable to conclude that the Calvinist version of "God" brought countless millions into existence just to toss them into a "lake of fire"(See, "double predestination")

 Thus, the Calvinist version of "God" is an immoral, jerk-wad.('good thing there's not one scrap of objective evidence for such a being)

Secondly, if Calvinists are "right" - and this is what Calvinists like Susan Z will tell you - those who stray from the faith were never really "saved".

In other words, they weren't elected to begin with.

Okay, why do these people, in the next breath, tell those who deconvert, things like, "There's still time", when things have already been predetermined/when election has already taken place, and in which case, the implication is that the election process isn't reversible?

Well? Hello? Again I ask... "time" for what, exactly? Susan? Dr. Craig? "God"? "Jesus"? Anyone?

Remember, the Calvinist' "God" already knows which people he elected and which he did not. Do these *non-thinking disciples of John Calvin actually think that their "God" doesn't already know who will die an Atheist and who will die a Calvinist??? If, at the exact time that you finish reading this sentence, the Calvinist' "God" has prescience(foreknowledge) that I will die an "Atheist", then the time between now and then doesn't mean jack-squat. It's immaterial. My "free will" is an illusion at best, a lie at worst.

 So, if you're a Calvinist and you value logic, don't tell us "there's still time!". And if you tell us anyway, then fine, I guess you're going to have to not mind looking like a **an imbecile.

Disclaimer: Here*, and here**, I've used ad hominem. Truth be told, I find it extremely difficult to not use ad hominem with the Susan Z's of the world, who, BTW, aren't limited to just the Christian philosophy. Notwithstanding, an "ad hominem" is when you attack a person's character instead of addressing their argument. It should be clear that I have not done that. I have thoroughly pointed out the contradictory tenets of Susan Z's worldview. Moreover, while she censors her comments, I do not. She can come right in here and defend her position and/or offer a perspective I've not considered. In fact, I welcome it. The last thing I want to do is sit here and defend my errors

9 comments:

Alice said...

It would be nice if she would engage you on her blog. I know in the past (we've been on a couple of forums) that she was all about open free speech and argumentation. If you ask me her comment policy sounds a bit unChrist-like:

"And also remember that if your comment is really ridiculous, I might just leave it up for everyone to see the proof that you really are that stupid."

Ah, the love of Christ.

boomSLANG said...

"It would be nice if she would engage you on her blog".

In her defense, she actually did once, but it was a long time ago. No common ground was achieved(shocker lol). 'Been a few online encounters since then, so I can only assume that this played a part in her not allowing the comment to go through.

"If you ask me her comment policy sounds a bit unChrist-like"

'Totally depends on which version of "Christ" we're talking about. If it's the WestBoro Baptist version, then Snarky, vindictive, pig-cursin' Christ would sooo have such a policy = P

"Ah, the love of Christ"

Right? Then again, remember Christ was hated, so maybe she thinks she's on the right track. Who knows?

boomSLANG said...

"UPDATE:


Lo and behold, my comment was permitted through, albeit, days later. She says she'll respond. Let's see how that goes.

Alice said...

I saw that your comment went through. I'll be reading.

boomSLANG said...

For the record, I've already "submitted" my two part response to her comments made on 4/31. Waiting for approval =P

boomSLANG said...

'Not sure who's following, but I've submitted another response that's caught up in moderation.

boomSLANG said...

Surprise! She has come in and taken the last word..i.e..repeated the same ol' fallacious arguments, cast the same ol' judgments, given the same ol' self-righteous mini-lectures, and has made the same ol' thinly-veiled threats. Oh, and she has now disabled comments. Ooooo

;)

Alice said...

Well she sure told me! :)

Anyway, I think she has to deep down know that we (and people "like us") have a point and that may be at the heart of what I perceive is a lot of anger.


If this god works for her, I guess that's okay.

boomSLANG said...

"Well she sure told me! :)"

Girl, you got raked over the coals!(no pun)

"Anyway, I think she has to deep down know that we (and people 'like us') have a point and that may be at the heart of what I perceive is a lot of anger."

Yeah, people "like us". Okay, well, this lowly, stupid heathen happens to think that there is no way that she cannot be experiencing at least some cognitive dissonance. How do you say, in one sentence, that God's will is perfect, but in the next sentence say, "I'll pray for you"????...::head desk::

"If this god works for her, I guess that's okay"

Believe it or not, I tend to agree. Some people just need that security. If I recall, her "revelation" was when she almost ODed on Ecstasy, and it was "the Lord" who saved her. If she had not had this life-changing "revelation"; if she didn't have this belief, then who knows, maybe she'd have ODed on the stuff, like, while playing naked Twister, or whatever people jacked up on Ecstasy do =P