Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gusher

A week ago-yesterday, I wacked my index finger on my left hand cutting some chateau with 10 inch Wusthof. This one was a gusher, but fortunately, the cut was more diagonal to my finger(a flap of skin), as opposed to perpendicular. Four hours and five stitches later, I was out the ER door. A few days later I picked up my bass to see if I could play, but it was out of the question. Notwithstanding, I sat there and played making a conscious effort to NOT use my index. This, of course, left me limited to what I could play, but I was playing, nonetheless. Where am I going with this?

Here: After only one week of making a conscious effort to not fret any strings with my index finger, I have to now make a conscious effort to re-incorporate my index back into my game. One part of my mind is telling me, "Hey, dude...you can use your index finger here and there now, it's almost completely healed"...and another part of my brain is telling me, "Don't use that cut finger, dude!". I find it really weird that a lifetime of using all fingers can be "undone" with only a week of training myself to NOT use my index.

Moral of story, unless you LOSE a finger, do NOT attempt to relearn to play during the healing process. You will screw yourself. Arrrg.

4 comments:

Robert said...

You'd think now, having had to do more with less, that you find a way to do even more with more.

Do you still have your project stuff posted somewhere?

boomSLANG said...

I'm always improving.

Which project stuff?

Robert said...

the solo stuff you had done before ... len and I were looking for it the other day to listen to it and couldn't find it ... stuff was way cool ;)

boomSLANG said...

The player on my Myspace page no longer played the stuff due to malfunction. I think that I still have the files somewhere. I'll have to dig for them. Despite that they were just excerpts of songs never completed, the stuff had its cool moments. Thx.