Sunday, April 22, 2012

Atheism vs Agnosticism

I won't lie. It is my encounters with believers, namely, Christians, that supply me with much if not most of my blog material. A recent encounter prompts me to talk about Atheism and Agnosticism, simply because one believer has insisted that I must choose between the two. IOW, he understands the two to be mutually exclusive. In a word, false. Atheism deals with belief(in this case, lack of belief); Agnosticism deals with  knowledge(in this case, what cannot be known).

I'll start with the latter:  If we are talking a "God" that is unknowable, incomprehensible, immaterial, invisible, etc., then I do not, and by definition, cannot, know if such an entity exists. However, that doesn't preclude me from believing or disbelieving that such an entity exists. To break it down----I do not know if such a being exists(Agnostic), but I don't believe that one such being does exist(Atheism). Thus, I am an Agnostic Atheist. This should be very easy to understand.

All that said, the type of "God" that Christians worship is NOT the above-mentioned type of god. No. The god that Christians worship has specific attributes, and according to Christians, "He" is most certainly knowable(since they claim to have a personal relationship with said being) ,and what's more, this being lives inside their hearts, guiding them daily in their personal affairs. Putting aside the fact that if this is true, then this "God" is clearly give people conflicting advice, I nevertheless know that this "God" not only does not exist, but cannot exist. How do I know this, and how can we know this?? Simple---because the characteristics assigned to it by believers and their bibles are mutually exclusive in some cases. For example, the concept of "infinitely just" contradicts the concept of "infinitely merciful". And there's "omniscience" contradicting "omnipotence". It is for these reasons and more that I can say that no such being exists, and I can say it with as much certainty as I can say that a "square circle" doesn't exist.

No comments: