Sunday, April 29, 2012

Represent.

As some of you know, I am co-founder/co-song writer and bass player for a progressive heavy metal band. Well, it's been brought to my attention that a few people with whom I work closely are concerned that my being atheist will be a turn-off to any existing or potential fans of our music, since our former singer(now deceased) was heavily into mysticism/spiritualism, which, as you might imagine, became the inspiration of a good deal of our songs. Well, I can respect that concern, because, after all, music is a business as well as an art-form. However, my simple response is that it really shouldn't matter, and that their concern is a bit irrational. Let me attempt a rhetorical point by asking this simple question: would people stop buying Stephen King's books or watching his movies if they found out that he doesn't really believe in zombie-cats? I don't think so.

 There is fiction, and there is non-fiction. There is reality; there is fantasy. Subject matter that is fiction/fantasy doesn't become less intriguing or less entertaining if the author doesn't actually believe in that which he writes. While there was a time when I believed in a god, angels, a hereafter, etc., I have since changed my mind. Notwithstanding, I think writing about such things makes for interesting subject matter. And then on the other hand, the truth really does seem to be stranger than fiction a lot of the time.

4 comments:

Robert said...

it doesn't matter - look at Ozzy - the guy supposedly kills bats and doves and is supposedly a devil worshiper gets more popular than ever. no, it's all about the music and how it speaks to us. If the music/lyrics resonates within us, it will be wildly popular with everyone across the spectrum of beliefs and ideologies ... you can see that in almost every fanbase of every group.

Besides - you're "only the bass player" ;)

(Please take that as the sarcastic, tongue in cheek way it was meant - you KNOW that I understand, appreciate and respect your talent)

boomSLANG said...

It's all good, bro'.

And I just might use the "only the bass player" angle if someone brings it up again, to the tune of... "No one listens to the bass player, anyways....so who cares if I don't really believe in [insert woo-woo]?" Haha!

Robert said...

Brilliant! =)

glad I could help ... fyi - do you think they might notice if the bass lines were omitted? I find it interesting that people don't "listen" to the bass lines ... but when it's omitted they "hear" it.

all the best my friend :)

boomSLANG said...

Let's face it, the greater portion of the listening population probably don't even know the difference between a guitar/guitarist and a bass guitar/bass guitarist, especially with the advent of 5-6 string basses. But like you said, take the bass guitar out of a mix, and even the most naive listeners know that "something" is missing.