Friday, July 03, 2015

Open Questions to Christians


I'm one of those lunatic persons who doesn't limit his reading to only those views that support his own views.  I know, right? ::sigh:: Yes, it's true, dissenting views don't make me run the other way. I mean, if that were the case, I'd likely still be a believer, right?  So, yeah, I welcome dissenting views, because the truth has nothing to hide, after all.

So, making the rounds, a Christian blogger saw fit to ask why I was posting on a Christian blog, and he adds...

rather than saying something that adds to the conversations, you make inflammatory comments about Christianity. 

 This brings me to question #1:

Is it possible to express disagreement without being "inflammatory"? If "yes", what would an example of that look like? 

Another Christian writes.....

I must have hit a nerve. Even though I don’t agree with your thought on the subject, thank you for your opinion. God bless you.

Question #2 becomes:

Is it possible for an atheist to respond on a Christian blog and not come across as though a nerve was hit? If "yes", what would that look like. An example, please.

Christian 1 also remarked.....

Are you so unsatisfied with your traffic that you need to use other, more successful blogs to be heard? I’ve read your blog posts and am unimpressed by your sophistry, and yet I do not feel the urge to correct you.

It seems to me that if I was unsatisfied with my own traffic that I'd have tags on every post and would be hyper-linking all over kingdom come. As for my blog posts amounting to "sophistry", if that were really the case, I pointed out what a marvelous ministry tool it be for him to correct me. I mean, right? Yes, and even if he didn't produce arguments that had me running back to church, his attempt to correct me would, if nothing else, look like he had enough faith in his beliefs that he'd actually defend those beliefs. This looks good to those believers who may be having honest doubts. It would look good to those people who are currently in the shoes that I was once in.

But alas, atheists aren't the ones making excuses for why they "don't feel the urge" to respond to Christians, and as a former believer who carried honest doubt himself, this was something that played a role in my deconversion.

So, how about if women never "felt the urge" to respond to those who once said that women shouldn't vote? Where would they/we be?

 'Don't feel the urge? My a$$.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Sounds like some mix of snobbish elitism and a dodge to bury their heads in the sand to avoid tangling with you. :)

boomSLANG said...

Haha. Thx. But seriously, having been exposed to both sides for many, many years, I have enough experience to know how and when to conduct myself in manner that is unprovocative and directly to the point, despite that I know very well that in instances where ridicule and scorn are warranted....yes, warranted.... that my straight-forward, pull-no-punches approach is unpalatable to many people, including other atheists. As you might've guessed, I don't particularly care about that, and the reason is simple. It's because I know that outside of the theist/atheist blogoshpere that I'm a normal guy who holds the door open for others, who cares for animals, who enjoys nature, who works a job, who admires the beauty in nature, who enjoys hobbies, who goes to the movies, who can carry on a friendly conversation about nothing.....in other words, a guy who does all of the things that your average person does and who conducts himself the way your average person does.

It just so happens, though, that when it comes to one aspect of life, that being religious belief, that this is the one time where I believe that a spade needs to be called a spade. And while I know very well that my outward disdain for the propagation of harmful ideas..e.g..religion and pseudo-science, doesn't win me many friends, and as well, it probably defines me in the eyes of those I encounter online, I, myself, can't, won't, and don't let that define me. The truth has nothing to hide; I was wrong and changed my mind once, and I'll do it again under the right circumstances.

That said, yeah, 'probably doesn't want to tangle with me, and to the person or persons saying that they "don't feel the urge" to correct me, I'm sorry, but this always pegs my bullshit meter :)