Sunday, March 18, 2018

Conflicted



Back when I was new to the internet, and particularly, when I was a silent lurker in a few atheist/theist discussions, I remember a few things that atheists would point out to theists, namely Christian theists, that would stand out. Certain things said would just stand out more than others, and one day an atheist put personification to good use. His Christian opponent was arguing for anthropic principle, but at some point the atheist wrote back[paraphrased], "'Lookit how perfectly I fit into this hole in the road! It must've been made just for me!', said the mud puddle."

That was a "light bulb" moment for me, despite already having doubts as young as nine years old and carrying those doubts into adulthood..e.g..Captain Noah and his ark, things just springing into existence, etc.

Long-story-short, I lost faith in faith because I eventually could no longer ignore the conflicted thoughts.

______________________________________________________________________


Changing gears, someone asked another person, "How can you eat something that has a face?"


: /


: (


>: (

This got me thinking(more like a nagging feeling, actually), to the point that I cannot simply choose just to not think about it anymorealbeit, I was able to not think about it for most of my life.

But how? Compartmentalization? Say it isn't so. Indoctrination? Indoctrinated to believe that eating other sentient creatures is A-oh-fu(king kay? Why not? I mean, that's exactly how I became "okay" with an innocent person being executed for my shortcomings. That's how I became "okay" with someone holding me accountable for something I have zero control over...i.e..being human. That's how I became "okay" with some of my fellow human beings being incinerated alive in a place torture chamber called "hell" for not believing as I believed.

After ruminating on this, it seems to me that, yes, this is exactly how I was able to have stuffed animals as "friends" as a child, but could be called to the table to eat a sandwich made out of ground up farm animals, gobble it right down, then be back playing with my stuffed animals.

Q: Why didn't I make the connection?

A: Indoctrination.

You're taught that doing X, Y, and Z is "normal", so you don't ever question it. You see a BLT in front of you, what do you do? Why of course, you eat it.






Mmmm....bacon. Right? I'd venture a guess that if you could somehow know people's thoughts right before they are preparing to jam cured and smoked pig flesh down their gullets, you would not see many thought bubbles with the above-pictured in those bubbles. After all, such thoughts might cause conflicted feelings. And yes, I'm aware that there's people who have no qualms keeping and eventually slaughtering certain animals to put food on the table. After all, that's the way they always done it, ain't it? Yes, just ask the "Motor City Madman", himself, Ted Nugent......::eyeroll::

But it seems that, yes, for millions, that's how they've always done it. And of course, the more longstanding the tradition, the more it must be right. Right? Arg.

For those who might answer "no"..e.g...me, the solution is simple, isn't it? Yes, I just stop eating meat, and voila!

Okay. But as with many other things done out of habit, tradition, and convenience, this is easier said than done. And to make matters worse, just how in the hell does a saucier avoid foods with animal proteins?

So, again. I want to do what I feel is right, ethically, but muuuuch easier said than done. This is going to be tough, because once again, you cannot "unring" a bell.

6 comments:

Alice said...

It is tough once you make the connection, especially if you weren't looking to do so :) There are those who see nothing wrong with the "humane" slaughter of well treated animals or even wild game as part of the circle of life. I don't see it that way, but its a thing and there may be some validity to it in some instances.

I also face a somewhat ethical dilemma myself in that I still purchase and prepare meat for the majority of my family and that I also work in a steakhouse. I do a bit of compartmentalizing for the sake of family harmony and my job.

boomSLANG said...

It is tough once you make the connection, especially if you weren't looking to do so

And I wasn't looking to do so, so, yeah...tough.

There are those who see nothing wrong with the "humane" slaughter of well treated animals or even wild game as part of the circle of life.

The cycle of life, sure. If we accept science and by extension that we evolved, then yeah, there was probably a time when our natural instincts were to club an animal on the head and then eat it. Because let's face it, we don't need fight or flight instincts or incisors for stalking, killing, and eating a head of lettuce. But the operative word is evolved. We have choices now; we aren't just running on instinct.

I also face a somewhat ethical dilemma myself in that I still purchase and prepare meat for the majority of my family and that I also work in a steakhouse. I do a bit of compartmentalizing for the sake of family harmony and my job.

Understood. I feel I can get my heart in the right place, but it's getting my actions to follow. The long and short of it is that I am still indirectly contributing to the meat industry demand, even if I was to go full-on veggie or vegan, which I still haven't. I cater, literally, to meat eaters, although, on every function there are special meal requests..e.g...pescatarian, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, etc., etc. At this point I'm just shooting for chicken and fish, exclusively. Baby steps = P

Alice said...

We DO have choices now and that's important to remember. There is really no reason for anyone living in the modern world to have to eat animal products. The variety of things and recipes and information is incredible.

I will probably always have to deal with buying, preparing or serving meat and animal products in some way for a while. I like to think that when it comes up (I never volunteer my eating habits at work unless asked) I can plant a seed to get someone thinking. Maybe that's my small contribution, or maybe I'm justifying...:/

At this point I'm just shooting for chicken and fish, exclusively. Baby steps = P

Nothing wrong with baby steps :) I ate fish for the first 9 months or so after giving up everything else. It made it much easier to dine out.

boomSLANG said...

There is really no reason for anyone living in the modern world to have to eat animal products.

In some parts of the world they eat insects and dogs. Idk, but it seems to me that those in the animal-friendly camp really have their work cut out for them. Right now I guess I just need to worry about myself and my part in this.

The variety of things and recipes and information is incredible."

It is incredible, for sure. But in many cases, so is the list of atypical, often-hard-to-get ingredients needed to create these sorts of dishes. Also, the one thing I admittedly still don't get about the vegan/veggie approach is when proponents strive to have substitutes look just like the original, authentic meat ingredient from the animal that they are striving to save in the first place. To me it's like being anti-fur, but strolling around with a fake dead animal on your shoulders instead of a real one. Seems counterproductive.

I can plant a seed to get someone thinking. Maybe that's my small contribution, or maybe I'm justifying

Someone planted a seed and it got me thinking. I'm still trying to figure out, though, if it's a blessing or a curse, much in the same way that I question(ed) whether discovering what science tells us about an "afterlife" is a blessing or a curse :/

Alice said...

In regards to fake meat, it's not that we don't like the taste of meat(although it's more the seasoning than the medium) it's that we don't want to kill living beings to eat. At first, it can be really hard to figure out what the heck to eat when one is used to the standard American diet, so these meat substitutes can be a great way to ease into it. I use some, but much less than I used to.

And it is a blessing and a curse I think. Would we be happier before we knew the truth or is the truth more important? I really don't know sometimes.

boomSLANG said...

In regards to fake meat, it's not that we don't like the taste of meat(although it's more the seasoning than the medium) it's that we don't want to kill living beings to eat.

Understood, and that's the part that sort of leaves me scratchin' my head. If the main or sole reason to go vegan or veggie has to do with sparing animal's lives, why eat a substitute that is visually reminiscent of eating the real thing? For example - and I don't even know if they make anything like this - but even if one could find non-animal ingredients that simulate the taste of baby back ribs, why would that person want those ingredients to end up in shape of the actual ribs of a pig? Wouldn't that just be an unpleasant reminder while eating them? Again, idk....these are just questions that come to mind.

Would we be happier before we knew the truth or is the truth more important? I really don't know sometimes.

That's the million dollar question, but as we both know, even if we concluded that in some respects ignorance was truly bliss(????), you can't "unring" a bell.