Sunday, November 05, 2017

Comment Policies








As an atheist and as someone who values truth, from time to time I will check out blogs that are owned/operated by people who hold views and beliefs that run contrary to my own. Even 180 degrees to the contrary. After all, the truth has nothing to hide, so if one of our goals is to accumulate as much truth as possible, in other words, acquire as much knowledge that corresponds to reality as possible; and by extension, if it is our goal to discard as much false information as possible, that being, that which does not correspond to reality, then exposing ourselves to all sorts of views shouldn't be a problem or concern for us. In fact, if we care about truth, we should be inviting views that dissent from our own. We should invite those views, consider them, and be able to entertain the idea that they could be right views and that we could have wrong views. The quote that comes to mind is the one about being able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it.

But yet, conversing/associating with people who think/believe differently than we do is a big no-no for some bloggers. Anyone who blogs on a somewhat regular basis might be able to tell which blogs are run by such people, and one clue is a blogger's commenting policy, albeit an inconspicuous clue.

For those who have no comment policy or disclaimers, it's pretty much a given that comments are welcome and that comments will post without having to pass moderation. This blog, my blog, is set up that way. Since its inception, I've only had to ban one guest, but this was for reasons other than just disagreement.

For other blogs and their bloggers, the commenting policies are short and to the point. For instance, in the comment section, one blogger simply writes...

Your comments are always welcome

 Another blogger writes...


Take Some Time To Share Your Thoughts


So, again, some bloggers choose simple and to the point. With policies such as these, there is a level of trust and confidence exuded, in contrast to, say, exuding distrust and paranoia.

Now let's have a look at an example of a different kind of commenting policy...

Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you. Thank you. Please try to keep your comments on the topic of the post you are commenting on. If there is a link to an article or podcast, or if there is an embedded video please view these before airing your views on the posting. If you clearly did not watch video/read link I may choose to remove your comment or leave your comment and then not respond to it..particularly if you have a question that is already answered on link or video. Opposing viewpoints are of course allowed here, however, I will limit such discussions to two or at most three further comments on one topic, so do try to get all your criticisms in while keeping that in mind, and don't take it personal.... I just don't want to be bogged down with a constant barrage of replies that go and on like a dog chasing it's(sic) tail in circles.

While it starts off on the right foot, it slowly dive-bombs. Instead of confidence and trust, it exudes an air of superiority, a la, 'I know I'm right, so I won't waste my precious time with you if you don't agree with me.'

Notice that four sentences in, they state, "If you clearly did not watch video/read link[SNIP]"

I would just love to know from this person how they are able to "clearly" know that someone didn't read a link and/or watch a video that they posted, other than that their guest might simply disagree with the conclusions. I mean, it's a sad day if we're not allowed to disagree with some damned YouTube videos, isn't it? Yes, because otherwise, we'd have to believe claims that the world is shaped like a pancake and that large-footed community apes are prancing around in people's backyards.

Moving on, we see a veiled admission that this particular blogger is not good at defending their beliefs with written language. Either that, or they're a lazy-ass. I mean, they're only going to allow and respond to two comments that disagree with their views? Maybe three if they're feeling motivated that day? Good grief.........::eyeroll::

Then, most amusing of all, this person, the one that wrote, "Please be as gracious as you would like others to be to you", caps off their disclaimer with some ad hominem, writing, more or less, that they just don't want to be burdened with having to deal with views that don't agree with their own. You know, views that amount to a dog chasing its tail. How "gracious", right?

I don't know about anyone else, but I see right through the arrogance and inflated sense of confidence exuded in this mindset. What I see is a person who will avoid having to defend their beliefs like the plague, not because doing so would be too time consuming and/or off-putting, but because they know deep down that their beliefs are a house of cards that will crumble from the slightest draft.

It's strange, because those with religious convictions are often the ones with such attitudes, but imagine how many people would be missing out on their profound intellect and wisdom. Imagine how great of a ministry tool it would be for such people to actually use their intellect and wisdom to engage those whom they call "lost".

Lost?







(it stings!)


 


4 comments:

Alice said...

I notice that she barely ever has comments. I wonder if many don't make the cut :)

boomSLANG said...

I notice that she barely ever has comments.

Dratts. Well, I guess I'm not really in any position to talk, because comments here are pretty sparse. lol And I'm sure I have my share of lurkers who probably think I'm every bit as dogmatic and set in my beliefs as what "she" is. The differences are, despite the infrequent comments here, my blog statistics show several hundred page views per month, 648 just last month, so I know I'm not talking to a mini congregation of 2 or 3 people. Love me or hate me, people are checking out what I write.

Another difference is, I was on the "other side", practically right where "she" is now, but not preachy---I never ministered or proselytized as a Christian. Hell, I didn't even know what an "atheist" was back then, and by the time I found out, it was during the process of actually becoming one. D'oh!

The last and most stark difference between her and me is that I'm prepared to defend/discuss my views anytime, anyplace, anywhere, with someone who wants to challenge/debate/discuss, etc., the issues. The problem with many Christians, in fact, most that I encounter, is that they don't seem to want to know what atheism, and/or, what deconversion is(e.g..why it happens), from an actual atheist. No. They'd rather get that info' from their pastors and Christians friends. This way they can remain safer, albeit, willfully misinformed, because it's easier to shoot down a mistaken or caricatured position than it is to shoot down the actual position.

I wonder if many don't make the cut

Hard to say for sure, but I'm pretty certain she has to approve comments before they appear. I attempted an exchange on her blog about one thing or another a long time ago. You can imagine how that went = )

Alice said...

... comments here are pretty sparse.

I guess that is true, though. It doesn't mean no one reads, as you pointed out, though. I think due to her policy, any/all dissenting views are not published. I remember commenting on her story about "Isabel" (me) awhile back and those seem to be gone.

I never ministered or proselytized as a Christian.

I did at first out of joy but then out of guilt,guilt,guilt.

willfully misinformed

Yes. I don't think she has ever (that I can see) tried to understand what happened to my faith. Understanding could be way too dangerous.


I attempted an exchange on her blog about one thing or another a long time ago. You can imagine how that went = )

Kind of like banging your head against a brick wall? :)

boomSLANG said...

I think due to her policy, any/all dissenting views are not published.

You're probably right. And again, think of what a great ministry tool it would be if she actually allowed those whom she writes about half the time to respond, and then proceeded to systematically eviscerate their arguments one by one. A Christian actually taking us "lost souls" to task? Think of how good that would look to her Christian regulars, seeing one of their own actually using sound reasoning, science, and extra-biblical sources to.... oh, crap, wait. Sorry, my bad :P

I don't think she has ever (that I can see) tried to understand what happened to my faith. Understanding could be way too dangerous."

True, probably not, and yes, understanding is way too dangerous. Because, again, people fail the faith, not the other way around. If faith could fail the person, that means that it could fail her. Tsk, tsk! Mustn't have that!

But here's the rub and also the part that she will not allow to penetrate her cranium: According to the very beliefs she professes, her friend Alice(apparently now former friend) was either elected "Before the foundation of the Earth", and as such, is predestined to be "saved", or she was not elected and predestined to be magically kept alive and incinerated in hellfire. This, of course, is the "double-predestination" doctrine of 5 Point Calvinism.

So, God knows where Alice, me, and everyone else, are going to end up before any of us even did anything to please or displease God.

Reason says that if we were elected(or rejected) in advance, there's nothing any of us can even do at this point to alter the result, and yet, your detractor is grieved and falling apart at the seams because someone she had high hopes about has done something she feels will prevent a desired result that's already been determined!!!!! Only an indoctrinated mind cannot see the problem.

"Kind of like banging your head against a brick wall?

Supposedly it burns 150 calories per hour :O