Friday, September 08, 2017

Atmospheric Science: The Cover Up


Riddle me this:


Why would someone trust the information in this satellite photo....




but not this satellite photo.....






?


Today, September 8th, 2017, it is a beautiful, warm, sunny day here on Florida's West coast. Perfect beach weather! The type of weather for which snowbirds("snowbirds" = Florida slang for tourists from the North) flock here in the upcoming winter months.

If not for the weather forecasts and the institutions behind them..e.g....International Space Station, NASA, etc., you wouldn't in a million years think that looming in the Atlantic Ocean right now is a monstrous, category 5 hurricane heading directly toward Florida. And yet, millions of people are taking heed and trusting the atmospheric physics and chemistry behind the meteorology.

So, what gives? Why then are there some people who don't trust these same sources when it comes to, say, the shape of the earth? In image 2 you can plainly see the curvature of the earth. Normally the apologetic from flat-earthers is that NASA, and by extension, every other space administration globally, is part of a huge cover up to hide the true shape of the planet that we inhabit. In other words, they contend that the photos that show a spherical planet are "fake".

Of course, not once have I heard a credible reason for why they would be hiding the true shape of the earth, but this is part and parcel with conspiracy theorists..i.e..never connecting the dots.

In the meantime I think I will but my faith in the atmospheric sciences. And by "faith", I mean it in the colloquial sense, not the religious sense. The former, of course, is based upon a proven track-record and this is why I trust it, while the latter is not, which is why I do not trust it.                                                                                                                                             

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh, dear Gussie, people are ignorant. I can't even bother to argue with someone when they say the Earth is flat.

https://pics.me.me/if-the-earth-was-flat-cats-would-have-pushed-everything-21440098.png

boomSLANG said...

I can't even bother to argue with someone when they say the Earth is flat.

Smart move.....avoidance. They have their own set of apologetics, too, which makes it all the more unnerving.