Monday, March 10, 2014

Willful Ignorance: Honor it?

Anyone who's familiar with the popular networking site Facebook probably knows that one of its main uses is to share famous (or not so famous) quotes on one's own timeline, or in some cases, on other people's timelines. This, more often than not, is done to let people know where you stand, whether that be politically, spiritually, or whatever the case may be. The quote above is from a woman named Sanaya Roman. Without doing any sort of search, my guess is that she is some sort of "metaphysical" proponent, whether that be an author, a practitioner, a guru, or maybe even all three. Then again, she may be none of the above. But it's really not important, because I want to address the content of the quote.

  If we take her quote at its face-value, it seems very compassionate, empathetic, and even attempts to be reasonable. It's very "Live and Let Live"(another quote). She says, "There is no one 'right' way to grow". 'Sounds reasonable and diplomatic enough, doesn't it? Sure. But yet, we must assume something right away, and that is that the person who's presumably about to "grow" actually wants to "grow". In order to grow, it seems to me that the very first thing required is that one must be able to entertain the notion that one could be wrong about where they're currently at. Incidentally, when I was a bible-believing Christian, at some point I must have considered the notion that I was wrong, because I'm no longer a believer. Moreover, I am still open to the idea that there could be an invisible, conscious, creator-being, but if there is, with as much confidence as I can tell you that "square circles" don't exist, I can tell you that the deity delineated in the pages of the "Holy Bible" does not exist. The reason in a nutshell for how I arrive at this, is that said deity's attributes are mutually incompatible and that this deity defies, and often times, spits directly into the face of logic.

Logic

So, about "logic". There might very well be different paths, yadda, yadda, when it comes to personal growth. I don't think anyone would argue differently. However, there is only one "logic". There is not "his logic", "her logic", "their logic", "your logic", etc. 

Thus, if we can agree that finding out what is actually true about the world we live in is an integral and necessary part of growing and expanding our horizons, then we have to think logically. And before I go further, by definition, "faith" is agnosticism, at best. At worst, it is an intellectual cop-out and a reason to stay willfully ignorant. Theists who harbor and profess belief on "faith" are not applying logic evenly nor comprehensively. For instance, they are not applying the same "logic" that they use to determine that the other guy's "god" is a figment of their imagination, so in actuality, they are not using logic at all. There is no, "Well, by Christian logic, Hell is real, and I'm right!". 

With all of this being said, if someone wants to remain on a "path" that keeps them willfully ignorant and/or has them compartmentalizing their beliefs, that is certainly their right, a right which I support. However, I do not feel that I should necessarily respect the "path" they've chosen, as Ms. Roman admonishes us to do. I do not find anything "beautiful" about willful ignorance, and I will not "honor" the person who is at a place in life where they say that I deserve to be burned with fire 24/7 for all of eternity because I don't believe as they do. Surely such beliefs are the exact opposite of "inclusive"? 

In closing, Ms. Sanaya, while she is attempting to teach compassion and tolerance, she is forgetting (or ignoring) that some of the "paths" that people are on cause division and make the world a more unsafe place than it needs to be. And if these "paths" lead people to a place that they have no intention of leaving, then I'm afraid her quote misses the mark. No one can "grow" in faith.              

6 comments:

Alice said...

Moreover, I am still open to the idea that there could be an invisible, conscious, creator-being, but if there is, with as much confidence as I can tell you that "square circles" don't exist, I can tell you that the deity delineated in the pages of the "Holy Bible" does not exist.

That is pretty much where I am at, too. I love this clip of this "testimony" where he doesn't need to say anymore.

(from about 5 min in to 6:30)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id70RLR4GeE

boomSLANG said...

"I'm going to prove that my god is real"


::laughter::

Alice said...

BTW, your feed won't update in my blogger blogroll widget, it still has a post from several weeks ago. Do you have an rss feed?

boomSLANG said...

I don't know why it isn't updating properly. As for RSS, no, I don't have it, and a cursory look at RSSinclude.com shows there's a free 30 day trial, and after that it's around $50 @ yr. Does that sound about right? I haven't looked into it before today.

Alice said...

Google feedburner is what I use. It's free and apparently you already have one, it just may need some troubleshooting. I have your blog in my "feedly" reader and it updates there fine.

https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/97933?hl=en

boomSLANG said...

Roger, that "free". 411 appreciated:)